Thursday, December 15, 2011

See you later...

Anne Morrow Lindbergh wrote in North to the Orient, “'For Sayonara, literally translated, "Since it must be so," of all the good-byes I have heard is the most beautiful. Unlike the Auf Wiedersehens and Au revoirs, it does not try to cheat itself by any bravado 'Till we meet again," any seductive to postpone the pain of separation. It does not evade the issue like the sturdy blinking Farewell.”

I reflect on this today as I said goodbye to a dear friend who is moving tomorrow.  We’ve had 2 Girls Nights and a Dinner and Drinks Outing all in the past two weeks to commemorate the event, but still I was not ready to say goodbye today.  And at our last Girls Night just the other evening I ensured I would see her today as to not have to yet acknowledge their impending departure. 

While not an old friend, she was a fast friend who I felt like I had known forever.  Someone I liked right away whose company I enjoyed.  Being one of the most open and supportive people I’ve ever met she helped me learn more about myself, push myself and be more comfortable with myself.   Her contributions to my life have been many and I am forever grateful.

And today, as she made it quick (like ripping off a bandage, I guess) I cried and wanted it to not be true.  I smiled as my son asked her to play Duck, Duck, Goose again although the parking lot was not the best place and it was not the best time.  Now she is not moving to Guam or some other remote location, but instead to St. Louis, an approximately 6 hour car ride.  But I am so sad knowing I will no longer see her multiple times a week, no longer at Girls Night Out or other events.  As we hugged again she said, "I'll see you later" and I know this is true, but the only thing that popped in my mind was "if it must be so."


No comments:

Post a Comment